NEWBERG EMERGING FRIENDS CHURCH PASTOR — YOUTH MINISTRIES (.50 FTE)
As an open and affirming Christ-following Quaker Community,
we recognize that all persons are equal before God,
called to worship, serve and grow together.
All are loved and welcome here.
Newberg Emerging Friends Church is moving into our third year as a community. We have had time to establish some foundations, vision, and values together. We view our Middle School and High School youth as a vital part of our community. We desire that they have opportunities to know and experience the deep love of God, the living Christ, and community that demonstrates respect and honor for all. This pastoral role will be part leading, part recruiting, part administrative, and part encouraging others. We are looking for an individual who has passion for Christ, interest in youth, strong leadership ability, and willingness to be a team player. The timeframe will be from August, 2019 through the end of June, 2020 with the possibility of an annual renewal.
PURPOSE: To serve the church by providing leadership to the youth ministries of Newberg Emerging Friends, equipping others to encourage middle school and high school students to know, follow, and serve Christ. Being a caring connection to the broader community of Newberg / Portland area as well.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Administrate and coordinate the development of creative programs for middle and high school youth, continuing our shared youth ministry with North Valley Friends Church.
– Recruit, train, coordinate and supervise adult leaders. Manage the background checks and safety training for youth volunteers partnering with Administrative Assistant and the Children’s Ministries Coordinator.
– Establish small groups for fellowship, nurture, discipleship, and service. Give intentional time and energy to creating safe spaces for LGBTQ youth and families.
– Administrate and coordinate curriculum materials and educational tools for middle and high school programs, to include the teaching of Friend’s doctrine. Coordinate with children and adult ministry teams for overall vision of Christian education.
– Help youth identify spiritual gifts and find places of ministry, in our worship gatherings as well as in the community.
– Administrate, coordinate, and facilitate outreach opportunities for youth.
– Develop one-on-one relationships with middle and high school youth by being a friend and positive role model, and encourage similar relationships with other adult leaders.
– Communicate ministry and program plans with parents regularly through the church newsletter, mailings, e-mail and parent meetings.
– Plan and coordinate camps, recreational opportunities, retreats, and various youth trips.
– Meet on a regular basis with the pastoral team for encouragement, accountability, coordination, and to seek Christ together.
– Participate in worship planning, preaching, and pastoral care in cooperation with the co-lead pastors.
– Meet with the elders as requested for communication and reporting.
– Demonstrate a life centered on Jesus Christ.
– Align with our values of being Christ-centered and welcoming and affirming.
– Have a passion for ministry with youth.
– Demonstrated level of preparation for pastoral role (i.e. college degree, skill development, study, ministry experience, other expertise)
– Ability, comfort, and willingness to communicate one-on-one, in small groups, and in larger community settings.
– Skills in planning, leading, and coordinating events.
– Willingness and ability to work as a team player.
– Administrative capabilities of publicity, organizing rotations, planning, coordinating others.
– Basic computer knowledge and skills.
ACCOUNTABLE TO: The elders, through the lead pastors.
– July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020 (with the possibility of annual renewal)
– Pastoral level – 20 hours a week, salaried position
– Compensation for .50 FTE based on education and experience – (22,500-35,600)